As a campaigning organization, it is inevitable that we have a ‘footprint’ as a result of our unavoidable business travel, our energy consumption, purchase of vital equipment and the production of reports, printing and other materials that are essential to our work.
We have a commitment to minimise EJF’s footprint on our planet.
- We commit to reducing our carbon footprint wherever possible, offsetting our impact, and supporting truly renewable, sustainable energy production.
- We pledge to use public transport wherever it is a practical option for our business travel and to avoid flights where possible; we minimise or avoid travel where practical alternatives – including tele-conferencing - exist.
- We offer a cycle-to-work scheme to encourage our staff to cycle to work safely.
- We use low-energy lighting and opt for the best energy ratings for electrical equipment we purchase, and of course we work to ensure that equipment is always switched off when not in use.
- We share many of our campaign films, reports, briefings and other materials electronically. Where copies are needed, we share films on sustainably-sourced bamboo USB flash drives; our reports are printed on 100% post-consumer waste recycled paper, using certified organic inks. Unavoidable in-house printing is on 100% recycled paper.
- Our charity T-shirts, which raise funds and awareness for our campaigns are made in a certified organic and carbon neutral supply chain (and they’re fairly-traded too, so bring positives to the local communities in India too).
- We recycle everything that we possibly can using a dedicated service that includes food waste; old equipment, furniture and other items is recycled or donated for up cycling.
- We have a plastic-free pledge – rejecting single-use plastic in the office and encouraging staff and volunteers to consider the use of plastic in their work-life. We encourage staff to reduce or eliminate their consumption of food or drink that has a disproportionate impact on natural resources – these include avoiding products containing palm oil, meat, dairy (for their carbon, land and water footprints) or unsustainable seafood.
- Due to these environmental impacts, in work-related activities, EJF will only cover the costs of meat-free meals.
- We source organic, sustainable and equitably-produced items for the office, including cleaning products, tea and coffee.
- When overseas, staff are encouraged to be respectful of local food security needs – to consume little and give benefit to local, sustainable producers and avoid products that can have a negative local impact as a result of their production or waste.
- We have purchased a Welsh woodland to support our commitment towards offsetting our unavoidable carbon footprint and to protecting the area for wildlife.
- We also invest in a community-owned renewable project in Wales and will expand these investments to bring environmental and community-led benefits in the future.
- Our financial dealings are restricted to ethical banks; we will never invest in unsustainable and inequitable funds that perpetuate environmental injustice in the UK and overseas. We want our money to do good in every way.
- We encourage staff to invest in an ethical fund held by the EJF pension scheme provider.
- In addition to our adherence to the principles behind ethical investments, we will never accept corporate support or donations from companies involved in the production of non-renewable energy, pesticides, non-organic and demonstrably sustainable foods, and in mineral extraction.
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.